The three people that actually check this page every so often know I like to redesign my page. I historically seem to redesign it more than I post on it. All in all, my page is more of an experiment in design than it is an expression of thoughts. As much of a pain as it is, I find web design very enjoyable. It is the main reason I am the organizer of the Denver Webdesign Meetup. Some even say I should try to get an actual job doing it beings I am quite proficient at it.
Last fall, I decided to try it when I volunteered to “help” redesign the local anime convention’s homepage. Needless to say, they were ecstatic. At the time it consisted of a bunch of static HTML files that were edited in BBEdit and then uploaded. This means every time there was an update the whole page which included several separate files had to be updated and then uploaded.
I didn’t hear a lot from the time of the convention throughout the end of the year. The webmaster was busy doing a novel for National Novel Writing Month and there wasn’t a lot of planning going on at the time. I took the opportunity to play around with different layouts and color schemes and just kind of wait to hear something.
I finally made contact in January. Apparently the current webmaster had stepped down (he was only doing it because they really needed someone) and they wanted to know if I was interested. It sounded interesting, so I said yes. I tossed a few ideas I had at them, and they liked what I had to say. Not to say they understood what the hell I was talking about for half of it, but at least I sounded like I knew what I was talking about. They gave me free reign over everything for the website.
The first thing I did was install Textpattern to make updating easier. As i have mentioned in previous postings, I am a fan of that particular CMS. It is easy to set up and very flexible. It would also be able to handle all the different sections and information I would need to post on the site.
I then applied my templates to the system and tweaked things. This part took way too long just for the fact I have been horribly busy at my real job. Not to mention IE(Internet Explorer) is, as always, a pain in the ass. After much swearing, I managed to get it done and tonight, it went live.
It still needs some content, but after todays meeting, I am hoping to be getting all the information shortly. I will probably do a few minor and insignificant tweaks, but for the most part, it is done.